Sunday 13 November 2011

oh my gosh yum: vegan maple pecan cupcakes!



Last weekend at World Vegan Day I was lucky enough to eat a delicious Mister Nice Guy French Toast cupcake - maple syrup and walnuts! I’ve been trying to eat as much raw food as possible this week, but my craving for more maple-cupcakey goodness got the better of me. Today I decided to make my own maple pecan cupcakes. And boy am I glad I did. They are delish.

I got my original cupcake recipe from Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World by Isa Chandra and Terry Hope Romero forever ago. I pretty much know it off by heart (probably not a good thing!) and whenever I make cupcakes these days I just make a variation on that.



I usually make double this amount, but I didn’t have enough maple syrup, so I halved it. You could always use maple flavoured syrup, but I don’t think it would be nearly as nice.





Cupcakes
½ cup of soymilk
½ teaspoon of apple cider vinegar
1 1/3 cups of plain flour
2 tablespoons of cornflour
¾ teaspoons of baking powder
½ teaspoons of baking soda
1/3 cup of oil
2/3 cup of pure maple syrup
¼ cup of caster sugar
½ a cup of pecans


Whisk the soymilk and the apple cider vinegar together in a small bowl. Pop the mixture aside and sift the flour, cornflour, baking soda, baking powder and sugar into a large bowl. Mix the maple syrup and oil in with the milk and vinegar (it should be a little curdley), then stir all of the wet ingredients in with the dry ingredients. Roughly chop the pecans, then stir them in too.

Fill your patty pans about 2/3 full, then put them in a moderate oven for around 20 minutes, or until they are a dark golden brown and cooked through.

Icing
1 tablespoon of vegan nuttelex
1 tablespoon of maple syrup
½ cup of icing sugar

Mix all ingredients together with an electric mixer. You may need to add a little more icing sugar to get the right consistency. Once you are happy with your icing, pop it on top of tour cooled cupcakes. Yummo!

It’s tea party time!



No comments:

Post a Comment